Blantyre is a city found in the southern Malawi, which lies in the Shire Highlands. It is the second largest city and commercial center of Malawi. It is remarkably a livable city, said to have the best Fanta in the world! Blantyre means city in Southern Malawi.
Official language used in the city is English (Malawian English). Currency used is the Malawian Kwacha(MK). Is dollars are acceptable but it's best when you convert some to the country's currency which goes at the rate : 1 Malawian Kwacha =0.0013 United States Dollar
There are two main seasons in the city; the dry season which lasts from May to October and the cols season which last November to April. You choose your best time to travel. I personally prefer the dry season ; the days are warm and nights are a little cold and wildlife view is at its best.
There is a lot to do when you're in the city. Here are some of the places you should check out when trying to get around Blantyre :
- Lake Malawi
- Liwonde National Park | It runs alongside the Shire River and part of Lake Malombe. Rough tracks and footpaths offer views of wildlife such as elephants, hippos and endangered black rhinos. River, grassland and woodland habitats are home to crocodiles, leopards and antelopes. Rich birdlife includes rare species like Pel’s fishing owls and Lilian’s lovebirds.
- Kungoni | The Kungoni Centre of Culture and Art is a non-profit organization in central Malawi
- Mulanje mountain | reserve founded in 1927 in Malawi. The reserve covers 56,317 hectares.It is operated by the Mulanje Mountain Conservation Trust. The reserve was designated a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 2000. Good for hiking.
- Museum of Malawi |Undeniably one of the city's most popular monuments; the Chichiri Museum, popularly known as Malawi Museum was established through legislation in May 1957
- La Caverna Art Gallery | is set in a historic building, Mandala House, which also serves as a base for the Society of Malawi, with a nice garden round it.
- The society of Malawi library | contains a vast number of journals, books and photographs, some dating as far back as the 19th century. You could easily while away an afternoon perusing old volumes on politics, history, exploration and wildlife.
- St Michael and all Angels church | magnificent red-brick impressive Church of Central Africa Presbyterian building was preceded by a simpler structure, built by Scottish missionary Reverend DC Scott in 1882. In 1888 the missionaries started work on a new, more impressive church with elaborate brickwork moulded into arches, buttresses, columns and towers, topped with a grand basilica dome. The church is off Old Chileka Rd.
- Carlsberg brewery |A Danish foreign minister visited Malawi during the independence celebrations in 1966 and wasn't impressed by the beer available hence establishment of a Carlsberg brewery. Beerophiles should book in advance to join the tour and learn about Malawi's favourite drink, the 'Green'.
To enjoy a lovely stay in Blantyre, book with us at www.alkhaleej.tours. We provide the best accommodation for our clients and ensure your time here will be perfect, memorable and fun.